José MellaFull Professor of Economics, University Autonomous of Madrid, Department of Economic Structure and Economics of Development, and coordinator of AMENET (Africa, Mediterranean and Europe) Jean Monnet Network; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volume 2 Issue (2) 2018
Th e paper is focused on the future of the EU, the lessons learned from its own experience, and its role in the geographical area of Africa, Mediterranean, and Europe. Th e conceptual framework is based on the Th eory of Economic Integration, the Th eory of Optimum Currency Areas, the Th eory of European Monetary Unifi cation, and the Economic Integration in the developing countries. Th e paper illustrates EU’s rich experiences on issues such as legitimacy and security, monetary union, real convergence, social cohesion, and fiscal union. Additionally, the paper argues that one of the main strategies of the EU is the development of the so-called “vertical” dimension, to build a strong regional integration North-South to ensure greater security and economic development.
- Atkinson A.B. 2015 Inequality. What can be done?, Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Balassa B. 1961. Th eory of Economic Integration, London: Greenwood Press.
- Corea G., Ghosh P.K. 1984. “Economic Integration and Th ird World Development”, International Development Resource Books, No. 12, Greenwood Press. London.
- Costas A., Arias X.C. 2017. La nueva piel del capitalismo. Barcelona: Galaxia Gutenberg.
- European Commision. 2017. Refl ection Paper on the Deepening of the Economic and Monetary Union.
- Eichengreen B. 1997. European Monetary Unifi cation: Theory, Practice, and Analysis, Cambridge: Th e MIT Press.
- Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2017. Africa and Europe. A new partnership for development, peace and a better future, Ed. by Marshall Plan Project Group. BMZ, Berlin.
- Guigou J.L., Beckouche P. 2017. Afrique-Méditerranée-Europe. La vertical de l’avenir, Editions Nevicata.
- Juncker J.C. 2015. Th e Five President’s Report: Completing Europe’s Economic and Monetary Union. Brussels: European Commission.
- Marinov E. 2014. “Economic Integration Theories and the Developing Countries”. In: Infusing Research and Knowledge in South-East Europe. Dautov R., Gkasis P., Karamanos A., Lagkas T. et. al. (eds.). Thessaloniki: SEERC: 164−177.
- Mogherini F. 2016. Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe. A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy, Brussels: European Commission.
- Molinas C., Ramirez F. 2017, La crisis existencial de Europa, Barcelona: Ediciones Deusto.
- Mundell R. 1961. “Th eory of Optimum Currency Areas”. American Economic Review, Vol. 60, No. 4: 657–665.
- Rodrik D. 2013. The Globalization Paradox: Democracy and the Future of the World Economy. London: W.W. Nor ton & Company, Inc.